How to do ik with hand tools/weapons?

I’ve seen plenty of examples on making the character’s hands stick to items using unreal IK but what about if the character is holding a melee tool or weapon and I want the tool to react to physics and the hands to follow?

Perfect example is an axe hitting a tree. How do I make the axe “stick” and the hands stay on the axe? Another example, the character swings a sword and hits the wall. I want the sword to “bounce” but the character’s hands to stay on the sword. How is this implemented? I can’t find anything on this.

You’d use physical animations for that.

could you please please please be more specific i’ve been racking my brain for the last 3 days trying to find out how to achieve this. Please i would really appreciate the help

I mean, did you google “unreal Physical Animations” or anything close to that?

Should be the very first offical answer you find.
And theres a live training specifically for it, titled the very same way.

I have searched for physical animations and do know what it is but that is only applicable for the characters skeletal mesh. What i want to know is how a equipped melee weapon or tool can affect the skeletal mesh, for example a sword sliding against an enemies sword, how can i keep the hands on the sword, if i keep the hands on the sword using IK, the sword swing animation doesn’t continue or bugs out because the sword is set to follow the hand bone. The sliding should be physics based.

If you want the animation to continue after impact, why would you use physical animations? Makes near 0 sense.

The animation would continue in the direction it was headed or stop and react physicaly upon impact.

Ik has nothing to do with any of this. Forget it exists.

Normally items are socketed. If you dont know what that is, look it up.
And also probably start with the engine’s basics.

If you do know what it is, then what is your question exactly?