How to detect shapes (like circles, squares, triangles etc) using material UV

Hey there! I am wondering how I can detect a shape using UV, like squares or circles.
I want to make a cutting system, so the player can cut shapes, and I want to make sure the player is cutting correctly.
Any help is appreciated!

can you explain what you mean in a bit more detail? what do you mean by ‘detect a shape using uv’ ? If the “player can cut shapes” then I guess they are providing some input and you want to detect the shape in the input? Where do UVs come into it?

Hey! Thanks for your response. I am trying to re-create the 2nd Squid Game game. I have have a partially working system using materials and UVs, I just need a way to know if the player’s cuts are following the determined cuts. I have an idea on how to do this using another texture in black & white, white being the predetermined cut (white is equal to a value of 1, so I can multiply it to see if the player is cutting correctly), and black is the background. I hope you understood.

Sorry I haven’t watched squid game yet :slight_smile: what I gather is that this is some kind of “cut an existing shape out of a plane in 2D” problem? If so this is still not enough information. What are the “player cuts”? Is the player drawing a curve in image-space, ie a pixel curve? Are they drawing a polyline on a 3D plane? Are the “determined cuts” in some existing mesh(es) or in a material or something else? Are you trying to cut a mesh in realtime, or is this just a game mechanic where there is no actual “cutting”?

(These are just a few questions off the top of my head that I can’t know the answer to based on your description so far. Sorry but I cannot imagine what you are doing or how it involves materials or UVs)

The ‘player cuts’ is reffering to the cuts that the player makes.