How to Cull Particle from Distance

What is the simplest way to cull the particles from distance? I searched and found something about bounds but couldn’t make it work. And I am not sure if it is the way to do so. Can anyone please explain the most simple way to do it clearly?

Hi Tongucci,

You can select the Particle in the level and use the Details Panel > Rendering > LOD section.

You can use the Desired Max Draw Distance to see a CM unit distance that you want the Particle System to no longer render. For instance if you change this to 500 when you move 500 units away from the PS it will no longer render.

I hope this helps.

Tim

1 Like

Hello Tim, that was what I tried before but I thought it didn’t work. However I just found out that doing so doesn’t make affect in editor mode but it does in game mode. So my problem has been solved :slight_smile:

Right, sorry I meant to include that and forgot. The editor view will not show it, but a way to get around that just to test is to hit the “G” key and it will show the in-game view while working in the editor. You can toggle the view by hitting the key again to quickly test without having to PIE or launch the game in standalone. Sorry for not mentioning that the first time around. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I thought I’d found a solution and then ran into an issue using the cull distance you’ve mentioned. I’ve got a smoke particle system running, and when i leave the cull distance it’s culled, but when I come back into range it doesn’t reinitiate. It’s set to infinite in the Niagara system info, is there something else I would nee dot engage to have it restart?

Hey guys.
I’ve faced the same problem today when I was trying to make high resolution screenshot of my whole level from the very top of it. My smoke particles disappeared when I put my camera too far from the emitters. Problem was successfully fixed by increasing of value “View Distance” to 50000. This setting is placed in section “Volumetric Fog” of Exponential Height Fog actor (I guess you have this one on your level as well). Note, scroll bar can set 10000 only, but you can set bigger value in input manually.