How to create landscape larger than 8129 x 8129(overall size) with world partition, for open-world game?

I tried to create a large landscape(10km x 10km) to create an open-world game, but I failed. I tried to create multiple landscape on one level, but there were two problems about boundary edges.

Problem 1. Weird lighting in the boundary

• In boundary(Landscape 1 between Landscape 2), lighting seems that they have some problem.

Problem 2. Sculpting using brush between two landscapes isn’t available

• When only using one landscape, sculpting between two components is available. However, Landscape Mode > Sculpt must select one landscape for editing, so I failed to sculpt multiple landscapes(especially in boundary)

How can I create and sculpt large landscape larger than 8129x8192 not using multiple landscape?

@nomaishere
In terms of it being possible in the standard versions of the Engine? I don’t think so, there’s probably a hard-code of the maximum file size for partitions in the Source, so anything that changes that should be done in the deeper files.
If you were to manipulate this value I think it would be possible, but you’d be opening yourself up to performance issues on both the graphics end as well as storage space with the larger maps, so I can’t fully recommend it, but if that’s not an issue, it could be worth a try.
I also found a pretty in-depth post about it from a little while back. Maybe it could shed some insight on other possibilities?

I hope this can help!
-Zen

Thanks! I read the post you recommend, but sadly I can’t find a solution for my case. I want to sculpt landscape in ue5, not using another landscape tool like gaea, world creator, etc. Many other post or video about massive-landscape tells import heightmap can create landscape more than 8km x 8km.

What is the technical difference between “landscape components” and “LandscapeStreamingProxy”? In my case, 4 landscape components correspond to 1 LandscapeStreamingProxy. And when I add landscape components using landscape mode(shift+2) > Manage > Add button, LandscapeStreamingProxy was created automatically.

Btw, can I “unload” landscape components(or LandscapeStreamingProxy) like unloading cells in WorldPartition editor? Sometimes when reopening a project, engine makes some LandscapeStreamingProxy unloaded. The only thing that I can do is change visibility in an outliner, but it doesn’t change memory occupation. If I can unload landscape, it help me to work in less-laggy environment. Is there any feature about this?

Why do you appear to be insisting on using the sculpt tool for what it certainly was NOT designed for in creating massive landscapes?

Simple either use Maya, World Builder or similar modelling tool to create your massive landscape and be done with it… why create problems for yourself when there is no need???

PS: If after importing said landscape from the above tools you wish to sculpt certain areas of the landscape then by all means use the built-in UE5 landscape sculpt tool, that’s what it was designed to do, but it certainly was not designed to create massive landscapes in it’s own right at all.

So if I understand correctly, if I create heightmaps somewhere outside of UE5 and I need to create a massive openworld and don’t want to spend all memory in the world on one giant landscape I can split my world to a number of moderate size landscapes My PC can handle and still use world partition on each of them as well as for the whole world?