How to create custom property access like in lyra's blueprint thread safe update animation

So I am a bit of a beginner and is trying to learn more about the Blueprint thread safe update animation by trying to implement it with the third person template. I cannot seem to be able to create a function and have it show up in the property access drop down like with lyra’s mannequin animation blueprint “GetMovementComponent” to get access to specific values you won’t be normally able to get to with property access. Is there something I am overlooking or is this something enabled with C++ and if so where.

6 Likes

I figured it out you have to set that custom function to pure in the detail tab and makes sure the name of the return value is “ReturnValue” as well.

6 Likes

■■■■■■■■,there is a function called “GetMovementComponent” in lyra’s animbp

1 Like

I was stuck on this for 4 hours now, Troubleshooting to figure out what I am doing wrong and find out “what I am googling for” and the ReturnValue mentioned in the solution was my issue. I had a trailing space because the output variable name wouldnt save if I didnt have it but afterward I was able to delete it and it worked?

So in short, Save your output variables by adding the space afterward but immediatly remove the trailing space after it saves so the intellisense can pick up your function on the property access tab. Because I can imagine if you put this off for later you might forget to do it.

Thanks again OP. You just saved me a frustrating afternoon.

Same here, i just lost 90min thanks to you all :slight_smile:

Just would like to thank the OP for posting this. I am currently going through Lyra and trying to implement into my own project. For others trying to do the same and find themselves here as well, the GetMovementComponent function in the Property Access is what should be a HelperFunction but is on the MyBlueprint page. Make sure when you create it that it is Pure, and the output value is ReturnValue of type CharacterMovementComponentType Object.
Cheers

1 Like

Thank you. Found this by chance while researching property access. I have a function in my player blueprint that gets the current equipped weapon as an Enum value. I didn’t see the function in the ABP at first but then tried the ReturnValue thing with the pure function and now it’s working. My Wep enum drives blend by enum logic for different character animation depending on weapon.

Here is one for free: If you ever don’t see a print string when you’re certain you should see it, it might be because of a bug when you press ’ to see AI Perception details. Restart and the print strings will work the way they should.

Lost an hour debugging last night when it wasn’t my code that was the issue!