How To Create Binary Save System

Hi, I am working on an open world game and I need to create a good and optimized save system. Bad thing is I have never used c++ and am also new to unreal. I am looking for a step by step tutorial for the basics of saving and loading with binary. I also can’t figure out how I would save the variables declared in blueprint because I don’t have references to those in c++ and I don’t have a c++ file for every object I want to save. It’s all blueprint right now. For reference of what type of save system I’m going for would be something like ark survival evolved. It saves player stats and it can spawn objects at their respective location when you get close enough like spawning creatures and buildings. And it also saves and loads inventories when you open/close them. Sorry if this is a bad question but this is my first question. If you need any more information, let me know. ** I am looking for a step by step tutorial for the basics of saving and loading with binary.** Thank you!

Hi Bigometer, I’ve been learning UE4 for several months now.

Good news is Unreal already has a save system integrated into the engine.

Bad news is Unreal’s user and reference documentation are incomplete work.

I really started to get traction w/ UE4 once I started taking courses on Udemy. They go on sale for $15 all the time.

I would start here or something like it:

https://www.udemy.com/course/unrealcourse/learn/lecture/15637754#overview

For me, Epic’s learning content feels like a cooking show - flashy infotainment with little theory or explanation. There always seemed to be a “missing step” in the recipe, when what I wanted was an understanding of the design.

The “Content Examples” are also a great resource for learning. Also, if you don’t know Blueprints, they are critical to success and a really good place to start learning.

Good luck on your journey!

Hi, I’ve already checked out the save system unreal provides and gotten my inventories and player saving and loading perfectly fine but someone in discord said that the standard save system for large open world games isn’t a good idea so I’ve been trying to figure out how to write one myself. I found a source that explains how to save and load data and I’ve been trying to understand it and figure out how to make it work with variables declared in blueprint. But thank you for the udemy link, I’ll definitely look into that.

Hey Bigometer, I read-then-skimmed the source you link to.

First, I’m not familiar with that system, but I do know Epic recently retired their wiki’s because alot of the content was outdated. Alot of wiki content was “resurected”. I’m not saying this won’t work. I am acknowledging the risk.

Second, from a first glance, what I learned from that Udemy course is what I used to understand the source you linked to.