How to create an emitter at location where actor is destroyed?

I’m following along with Smart Poly’s beginner guide, and I’m at the portion where he creates a soccer ball that is destroyed after hitting the goal so it can respawn and reset the game.
I wanted to branch out a little from what he’s done and add a particle effect to the ball when it disappears. The only thing I can manage is to add the emitter at the respawn location instead of the “overlap goal” location.
I would appreciate any help!

You must have a reference to the ball, otherwise you couldn’t destroy it?

So I tried that and it didn’t work. Here’s what it currently is because of the tutorial where the particle emits at the goalpost

Here are two alternatives I tried that make the particle spawn at the original location

There it is, pull from here and ‘get actor location’

It’s still spawning the emitter at the ball’s starting location.

An… you must be just moving the static mesh, and not the ball actor ( wild guess ).

In which case you need to do something like

Yes, this is under the ‘goal BP.’ I think it’s getting the location of the ball from where it’s placed in the level instead of where it despawns. I’m using the cast to bp ball, so I thought I was using the actor. un not sure how to get the “target - ball mesh” node to try to set it up like that. it just goes to root component

This is consistently what I’m getting.

Can you show me the components inside the ball BP?

It’s probably something like this

I had discarded all changes I made last night so I could start fresh. I tried adding a sphere collision to it previously, but it didn’t change anything, so for most of the attempts it was just using the simple mesh’s basic collision without a sphere collision component.
But I’m trying it again with a sphere collision to see if there were any collision settings I could change.
Only the goal BP has nodes, the event graph for the ball is empty.
Sorry for the late reply, it was like 5am and I needed to go to bed haha.

I changed it back to about where it should have been last night, and added the sphere collision with the details changed to how I had it before.

It seems to be working now :sweat_smile: :melting_face:

So I tried messing with it for a bit (ie adding sphere collision, messing with those settings, adding nodes to bp ball)
The only other thing I did was delete the default scene root. I didn’t know that would affect spawn locations or anything. I thought it was just there to mark where 0,0,0 was. I guess it was causing the emitter to spawn at those locations though.

Thank you for your time in helping me troubleshoot! Sorry it was something so brainless :no_mouth:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.