How to create a Mario Kart turtle shell style projectile?

Hey everybody.

I’m working on a bit of a gag project for work and I’ve hit a wall. I’m working on a kart pvp arena game similar to the Mario Kart Battle Mode and I’m struggling to get an analogue to the Turtle Shell movement. I have the bounce working but I have no idea how to get it to hover so that it doesn’t react to small bumps in the ground or go flying into the air. So far I’ve created the Rocket League ball but that’s NOT what I’m looking for lol.

If anyone has any ideas on how to go about this I would be eternally grateful.

Well, you can cast a ray trace down of the shell to detect the ground, and always update it’s Z value to match the ground (or a little bit more). Just have to watch out for pits!

I’ve tried this and it’s probably the best I’m going to be able to get at the moment and since this is just a prototype it’s fine. Thanks for the idea!

Oh ok! I’ve made a mario kart prototype long time ago, and that was the solution we had :slight_smile: You can also try to lock rotation and for holes/pit, just disable if there are no ground, or maybe move 1 unit down for every frame that it doens’t detect a floor below it! :slight_smile: