How to create a laser trail that can generate overlap events?

So what I’m trying to accomplish is the following: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

A laser that generates an overlap event; takes damage, ends game, print string (for now)

A “Tron” bullet so to speak

Here’s what I’ve got so far: - YouTube

Ribbon’s source is the actor’s particle emitter

I’ve tried adding collision to the ribbons but couldn’t get it to work.

I’ve attempted to use a beam but don’t seem to get that trail effect a ribbon grants.

For what I’m trying to accomplish, should I not try to use a ribbon? What should I use?

Any information would be helpful!

I’ve asked redditand the answerHubbut to no avail :frowning:

What you want to do is add a box collision component to your bullet blueprint, set it’s x,y,z dimensions to match the bullet trail. Make sure the box collision component is a child of what ever changes the rotation of the bullet, so the box collision component rotates with the bullet.

Ok, I added a collision box to match (somewhat) the ribbon trail when it’s at maximum velocity, however, the trail size is dependent on the velocity. This is an issue when it’s shot at a slow rate. Would you know how to grab a trails parameters and make the box size a child of that?

Can you not work out the Trail / velocity and scale the collision box?

I’m trying to see how I can get that variable (or create it) and then transform the collision box. I have not figured out how yet.

I did recently find out that you can render the tangents per particle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEZaX_-LlHQ&feature=youtu.be

I’m hoping I can figure out how to add collision per tangent, I’ll keep fiddlin’

Here is a thought. Can you put a 100mm static mesh behind your trail, see how far that is compared to velocity. compare with another length and compare.

Or

Emitters must have a set tail length v/s impulse/velocity, can you find either of them?