How to create a chain in a moving mesh?

Hello dear community,

I am a bit desperate because I don’t know how to solve this:
I have a construction that moves along a spline (see picture: blue arrow). In this construction a chain moves out of a surface (blue) through the wheels back into the surface (blue). Meanwhile the construction moves and pulls itself along the chain.
The chain can be in a loop and go back to the front under the construction/surface. It may not be physical.

What I found out so far:
There is the Blueprint Unified Spline Movement:

With this you can move splines along splines. I already asked the author. He said:
“Not sure exactly what is being asked, but you can try making the chain an actor, so the multiple meshes you are talking about is one single actor. You can then control the movements of the multiple meshes locally within the actor.”

Unfortunately, I don’t quite understand what he means by this. I already tried to find out for hours by Google.
Can anyone help me with this problem? I am using 4.27, but could upgrade if necessary.
Thank you very much!

hi,
i think this might not be the best way but it works… maybe you can get some inspiration from it :slight_smile:

this is the machine in action

and here is the logic… as i said i am sure there is a better way but i do not have more time to fiddle around :thinking:

this will make a chain out of your link… maybe better would be to use particle ribbons or maybe a solid mesh and only offset the material…

hope this helps you :slight_smile:

cheers :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

This is pretty cool. Thank you for the hint. I try to build it. Did you try to move the whole construction in a direction? Is it movable?

hi,
yes i made a other version, i can post it… all in one actor… then it is full moveable and you can rotate it in any direction :slight_smile:

a few minutes, make some screen shots quick

hi,
here is version 2…

if i have more time i will look for more efficient ways to do the same

a timeline should work also and maybe it´s better to model the band / chain as one mesh and make all with the material or with nigara :slight_smile:

cheers :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

You are awesome! I will try it. Thanks! You can sell this at the marketplace. There is no solution like this until today.

1 Like

thank you :slight_smile: glad it helped you :+1:

Hi there @sonstiger, hope you’re well!

This topic has been moved from International to Programming & Scripting: Blueprint.

When posting, please review the categories to ensure your topic is posted in the most relevant space.

Thanks and happy developing! :slight_smile:

1 Like