How to correctly configure prerequisites for Steam Deck?

Yeah, I just tested in 5.4.4 as well and it’s still not working, behavior seems unchanged. I was hopeful when I saw this in the release notes but I guess it didn’t fix THIS issue…

UE-220463 Missing Steam Deck script files from Unreal Engine Release

Not a developer but a end-user. Seeing that this issue is open since May is a little discouraging.
More and more games ship UE 5 now, so is there any chance this gets fixed? Or is Wine just neglected?

Confirmed - still happens in 5.4.4. Is there some kind of official Steam or Epic channel where we can report this - been happening for many months

1 Like

A month ago I did report this as an issue using the bug submission form:

Case # 11920817: Unreal Prerequisites Re-Install Every Launch on Steam Deck has been received

Thank you for your bug submission. We will review your case and will follow up if more information is needed or a ticket is created. In the event the issue you reported is scheduled for a future release or has known workarounds, you may not receive a follow-up message from our team.

I didn’t hear any further communication about the issue. Not sure if there are other avenues to get the issue acknowledged besides the bug report and forums.

1 Like

Just giving some feedback here but I package my game for the steam deck on Linux and have no issues it works fine.

I can second that.

Good to know that’s a possible workaround! I’d prefer to just be able to use my WIndows builds if possible instead of having to build natively, that’s one of the benefits of Steam Deck/Proton.

I don’t get issue with windows builds ether oddly, but Linux builds do run better in my experience when running my tests.

Unfortunately, I am using a third-party library that doesn’t support Linux so I can’t package for it. I’m having the same issue.

The only workaround that worked for me to stop the infinite install/uninstall loop was to go to protontricks and install the VC 2015-2022 from there. But that’s hardly a solution if you are going to put the build on steam.

Can someone post a video of the issue there getting? as it has to be something not configured correctly as I don’t get any issues.

Hi,
Our game supports SteamDeck, and we use the UE5.4.4 engine. When starting on SteamDeck, there is always a prompt to install the C++environment using Proton9.0-2. When I switch to Proton5.0-10, there is no prompt.
Is there any solution available?
Thank you very much

Just following up on this since Epic still hasn’t replied to my bug report. Our game is live and I haven’t seen any complains about this solution. For folks feeling desperate, a custom engine build is really not as scary as it might sound. If you ever want to support consoles you’ll be doing one anyway :slight_smile:

I just passed Steam cert, and the fix for this was actually pretty straightforward - they don’t want you ever running the redist installer at all, Steam wants to handle the redists itself. So what you want to do is tell Steam to launch your “YourGame-Win64-Shipping.exe”, which is in Binaries, not YourGame.exe. Then you tell Steam which redists you need (which is the top two checkboxes).

No custom build required!

4 Likes

Wow this saved my day! :slight_smile:
Thank you so much!

I just tried to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.4 the last two days, and got that issue.
Changing the settings in Steam was straight forward and the Redist issue is resolved on the Steam Deck.

1 Like

Yes! This did it! Works perfectly and it’s on the Steam side so I can already roll it out to our beta testers. Good thinking!

1 Like

Thanks, Joe! One more thing to note: When using the EOS bootstrapper, make sure to reference “YourGame\Binaries\Win64\YourGame-Win64-Shipping.exe” and not “YourGame.exe”. Rebuilding the bootstrapper like this solved the problem for me.

1 Like

@JoeWintergreen You are my Unreal Hero! Thank you so much for sharing! Been struggling with this for a while. Works like a charm!

1 Like