How to Copy UVs from Mesh to Groom

Hello everybody,

So I’m working on building a fur material for a squirrel. I’d like to use the skin texture as the color source for the groom. From what I understand, you can do this by using the HairAttribute Nodes RootUV attribute IF the groom has the same UVs as the mesh.

I’m not quite sure how to copy the UVs from the mesh to the groom (curves made in Yeti). Is there any way to do this in Blender? I also have Maya LT, but I don’t think LT will load the groom.

1 Like

Okay, so I made some progress. Based on the documentation here: XGen Guidelines for Hair Creation in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine Documentation

There is a script you can run that will copy the UVs from the mesh into the groom. Where for each hair (curve) it will get the closest UV point on the model and assign it to the hair. So when you apply the skin texture to the groom in UE it picks up on the color.

This is an arnold render of the fur, and what the color should look like:

In Unreal Engine it’s fairly close, except that there is no white color on his belly like there should be:

The UV map on the model maps to the texture correctly so I don’t think the UV map is wrong.

What step should I take? I’m not quite sure what the problem is.

1 Like

Trying to find the same solution

What version of Maya were you using to run the script? In Maya 2022 at least, the script requires ample amounts of modification in order to export properly, and even still, upon importing the mesh into UE5, it doesn’t seem to acknowledge the rootUV that was supposedly successfully exported.