How to Compile an Unreal Project (Novice Question)

This is probably a very novice question, but when I make changes to my unreal project source code and I hit ‘Compile’ in the unreal editor everything works correctly and the changes take effect the next time I hit ‘Run’. However, if I am on the command line and I navigate to my projects root and use the ‘make’ command, the changes do not seem to take effect the next time I hit ‘Run’ in the unreal editor. The following is the output when I execute the ‘make’ command

bash “/home/aminnaar/UnrealEngine/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Linux/Build.sh” CrashReportClient Linux Shipping
Building CrashReportClient…
Using clang version ‘3.5.2’ (string), 3 (major), 5 (minor), 2 (patch)
Target is up to date
Total build time: 0.15 seconds (NoActionsToExecute executor: 0.01 seconds)
bash “/home/aminnaar/UnrealEngine/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Linux/Build.sh” ShaderCompileWorker Linux Development
Building ShaderCompileWorker…
Target is up to date
Total build time: 0.16 seconds (NoActionsToExecute executor: 0.01 seconds)
bash “/home/aminnaar/UnrealEngine/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Linux/Build.sh” UnrealPak Linux Development
Building UnrealPak…
Target is up to date
Total build time: 0.13 seconds (NoActionsToExecute executor: 0.03 seconds)
bash “/home/aminnaar/UnrealEngine/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Linux/Build.sh” UnrealLightmass Linux Development
Building UnrealLightmass…
Target is up to date
Total build time: 0.14 seconds (NoActionsToExecute executor: 0.01 seconds)
bash “/home/aminnaar/UnrealEngine/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Linux/Build.sh” UnrealFrontend Linux Development
Building UnrealFrontend…
Target is up to date
Total build time: 0.20 seconds (NoActionsToExecute executor: 0.01 seconds)
bash “/home/aminnaar/UnrealEngine/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Linux/Build.sh” UE4Editor Linux Development
Building UE4Editor…
Target is up to date
Total build time: 0.90 seconds (NoActionsToExecute executor: 0.01 seconds)

I thought that since the was a Makefile in the root directory you simply had to execute ‘make’ to compile the project. Am I missing something?