How to choose default camera

I have two cameras attached to my character. Like this: https://i.imgur.com/kEKZxmT.png

“Followcamera” is the one I’d want to use as my main and is controlled by mouse. “Camera” is just for the minimap.

When I compile and save my game hud the camera switches to “Camera” which gives me top down view. When I compile and save my thirdpersoncharacterbp the right camera is chosen.

How do I define that the right camera is used as the main one? Activating and deactivating obviously doesn’t work because both cameras are used all the time.

It may be best to set your active camera on the Player Controller to the specific one in the BeginPlay of your character. That way it avoids having different ones after compiling different things.

It may be best to set your active camera on the Player Controller to the specific one in the BeginPlay of your character.

I’m sorry but I don’t understand what this means. Set active camera in character and then set the same camera active in player controller?

I tried that and now the minimap camera is always chosen. From bad to worse.

Anyone else have ideas?

Changed minimap camera name from “camera” to “cameraxxxminimap” and now more often the right camera is chosen… Maybe the camera with least amount of letters is chosen first…

Could anyone help me this? I have my player controller and camera manager node but only things that even remote seem useful atm that have any kind of camera node inputs are “set view target with blend” and “set camera fade”.

How do I use the camera manager (if you do it that way?) to use the correct camera?

I’ve read this and it has nothing about actual camera choosing: Cameras in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.2 Documentation

Please someone, anyone, anything at all…

there should be an option on the camera that says something like auto posses or something similar. set that value to player 0. thats something to try at least

2 Likes

I’m very sorry for the late reply. Anyways the only option I can find is auto-active. If I turn that off the other camera is turned off.

at Begin Play in your Player Character I’d use Set View Target with Blend, getting a reference to Self

here is a brief video explaining how Set View Target with Blend works… HTF do I? Change Cameras in Unreal Engine 4 Blueprints - YouTube

in general, always google/youtube for solutions to your issue before posting… most have already been solved

your camera is on your player character, right? … and you have the following nodes attached to your Begin Play in your player character (not player controller)? … and your player character camera component is active?

have you looked into using a scene capture 2d instead of a camera for the minimap.

Doesn’t work. Only thing that node does for me is that it kills the camera I’d actually want to use and changes the camera to the one in the player controller.

im thinking he has two cameras on his character. in which case this method doesn;t work i was trying the same thing last night. what i ended up getting to work was a scene capture 2d component.

yeah, I understand… you are likely right, a scene capture 2d component sounds like the way forward for a minimap

as you most likely know, smoothing between a 2 camera setup on the same BP using set view target with blend seems to need a slight workaround involving child actor components, though from my experiments it is possible to instantly toggle active/inactive cameras on/off simultaneously too

that is true toggling activation would work when switching cameras but not when you want to use two at once unfortunately.

yeah… reading back through the thread I can see that I missed that key piece of info

my bad… <bowing out of this discussion> :slight_smile:

No I have not. I’ll look into that, thanks for the tip.

I’m not sure if this helps but I ran into the same issue when setting up a firstperson/thirdperson view system. It kept defaulting to my first person which isn’t what I wanted. I found that in the character bp, the cameras have an ‘AutoActivate’ boolean… I just unchecked this for my first person camera. I missed it when I was looking at it initially because it is way down at the bottom of the settings. Hope it helps anyone else who comes here with the same question!

1 Like