How to check for VR Character overlap events?

I’m doing my bachelors project in Unreal Engine 4 right now, creating a virtual reality exhibition. I have a lot of experience with UE4 as an artist, but almost none as a developer. So currently I am struggling with a problem I can’t seem to fix or find resources on with my limited knowledge: I just want to open this door when the VR user is in proximity of it. I am using the standard UE4 VR template.

I followed a simple tutorial on how to handle proximity doors regularly, from which I created this blueprint:

However, it does not work. I tried plugging the event tick into the door animation timeline which does work, so I concluded the problem must lie in the overlap detection between the trigger box and the VR character. I just have no idea how to fix it. I tried casting the overlap to the VRPawn instead, didn’t work either, but that’s about the end of my wits already. I’d appreciate any help.

Hello,

If you’re using the VR Template, the default Pawn/Character is VRPawn. (But if you created VRCharacter and know that you are possessing it then keep that cast)

The second thing would be to have something on your Pawn/Character with the correct collision channels enabled:

This article is a deep-dive on that system, but should give you some context as to what’s going on behind the scenes. (Just focus on overlaps!)

Welcome to the Forums.

Awesome, thanks so much! The missing collision was indeed the issue, it works now!

1 Like