How to Build a Basement?

I’ve made my landscape and terrain, built a house on the ground floor now I want to build a basement under my house and the ground floor but the ground of the landscape is blocking that from happening, what should I do? Am I doing something wrong?

Hey there - so I think what you’re after here is a way to clear out collision for an area of the terrain. Its been a while, but if I remember correctly, you will need to make a slight modification to your landscape material ( if you have one, if not, you will need to make one).

Actually, I just dug this video up from the UE4 channel. Hopefully this will at least point you in the right direction…

This should get you at least started. Search for the ‘Landscape Visibility Mask’ node and plug that directly into the Opacity Mask result node. Then making sure the material blend parameter is set to ‘Masked’.

Of course there are additional computational costs associated with a Masked material comparatively from an Opaque material, but should be straightforward from there.

283689-landscapemasking2of2.png

Got what I needed! Thank you!