How to attach purchased mocap animations to my character

Hi,

I have bought a pack of rifle animations for a soldier character. The soldier is rigged to the ue4 skeleton (i’m working in ue5) and he has a seperate rifle mesh. I would have thought it would be easy to simply apply the animations I have purchased to my character (they are all ue4 mannequin animations), and connect the rifle to the socket. Oh no!

Can someone help me? I just need step by step instructions. I don’t need to use the ue5 mannequin.

This is only for a cinematic so I don’t need any game functionality.

So far i have tried to take my soldier skeletal mesh, right click and ‘assign skeleton’ then use the skeleton from the rifle animations. It all works, i can preview the animation fine. However the problem is with the rifle. In the skeleton tree I can see the Rifle mesh, it is connected to the ik_hand_gun joint which is greyed out. All the ik foot and hand joints are greyed out too. The gun seems to be parented directly to the ‘ik hand gun’ joint, there is no socket. How do i add my own rifle to this joint?

Have i missed a step? Do I need to retarget the whole thing because of the gun? Any help would be really appreciated, I’m really stuck with something that i thought would be super simple.

2 Likes

I solved this by using the rifleMocap default skeletal mesh for the animations and then assigning my own mesh to it. I manually attached the gun to the character/skeletal mesh with a socket. I’m pretty sure this is not the best way to go about it (especially as you have to attache the gun and reposition it every time you want to add a character to the scene) but strangely there don’t seem to be any tutorials on this subject.