How to add 3rd person starter content to my first person project?

Hey guys I got a free for the month asset off the marketplace a couple months back, “BookHeaderMonster”. And I am currently implementing A.I. stuff (Behavior Tree, Blackboard component) within c++. I just got finished Giving him his first task which is just finding a random location and moving to it, then waiting.

However this asset came with a few animations, but they are all animation assets instead of blueprints which makes it more time consuming to enact switching states properly. It uses the same U.E. skeleton, so I want to simply skip the unnecessary work and just use the ABP_QUINN_C blueprint that comes included with 3rd person projects.

My issue is my project is a first person project so I do not have this blueprint, and I can’t figure out where it is at to include it. Is there a way to simply add specific things from the 3rd person starting content, and if not how can I go ahead and add all of it to my project without changing anything, simply adding the stuff to my content folder and giving me access to use it?
Thanks for your time!

For transferring assets, you can simply migrate them using built-in ways. Select the assets you want to migrate either as a whole or individually, right click, choose “migrate actions” options from the menu that pops up and click on the “migrate” button.

For replacing the animations, you could retarget them but it wouldn’t be a problem since you mentioned that they use the same skeletal mesh.

Thanks for the reply, but this wasn’t my question. I’m simply asking how to get the third person starter content in my first person project and where it is located. Specifically the ABP_QUINN_C blueprint

Am I missing something here? You should be able to create a new project with the starter content by selecting so at start, and then migrate the desired assets to your own project the way I explained. But you can’t just migrate a blueprint without it’s dependencies, so there will be some extra stuff with it.

Your original reply is explaining how to include assets you are already have access too. I don’t know the file path location to the starter content to include into my project. I’m not sure what you were talking about with retargeting animations. But your second comment gave me a work around even though I assume for it to be starter content it has to be somewhere on my machine already, so if one knew the file path they wouldn’t have to create a new project so that’s basically what I was asking for originally. But your second comment will allow me to do so then I can see the file location so I won’t have to in the future.

For whatever reason when I try importing and finding C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.4\Engine\Content\StarterContent folder, and open it it is empty. Furthermore, every single folder is empty when trying to import throughout the whole Unreal directoy.

Coincidentally, there’s a recent post on a similar topic. There, me and another distinguished gentleman gave some suggestions to another person on how to add assets to his content folder using file explorer. We’ll see if that works out but probably not, because apparently the engine has some identifiers in the background therefore simply dragging and dropping assets isn’t the way to do it. Please try migrating them the intended way.

Also, my comment on retargeting was just something extra. Wanted to say that you can also use that to transfer animations in between different models, but there’s no need since the model from the starter content and your current model share the same skeletal mesh.

1 Like

For anyone else who runs into this problem, I finally found a video explaining how you can do this w/o starting a new project. Regardless of what your project is/what options you selected creating it, if you want to include any of the start content templates simply click “add” in the content browser-> “add feature or content pack” → then select the template you are needing assets too. This doesn’t change any of your current project settings and simply gives you the starter content for the template you choose and adds it to your content browser.

Yeah that’s why I was tryna get the 3rd person content because the Manny animation blueprint will work with it haha. Just so you know I wasn’t trying to be rude. I was thankful for the suggestion, and just reclarified my question because I very well could have wrote it poorly in the post. But luckily I found a video after 30 hours of searching for such a simple dang solution that works. I just had to add->add feature or content pack->3rd person template. I knew there was a simple way, I just wasn’t having luck finding it. But thank you for your help!

You’re welcome! You could also do that from the Epic Launcher, but I’m glad you somehow made it work :grin: Though like I said, you can migrate assets without adding a whole pack to your project too if you don’t want to deal with deleting all the unnecessary parts later :blush:

1 Like