How To Achieve Realistic Vehicle (Car) Behaviour? (specifically WRT engine characteristics)

I’ve been playing around with setting up a car all of today and while I have decent suspension and tire behaviour figured out I can’t for the life of me figure out a good way of setting up the engine in such a way that it behaves correctly. The main gripe I have is that I don’t want the car to be able to keep accelerating when at the RPM limit (hitting the rev limiter). When the car is at the RPM limit it makes no sense whatsoever that it can still keep accelerating as higher RPM is what accelerates the car. Looking at how the physics seem to be set up in the engine for engine behaviour I can’t help but feel they are fundamentally wrong (or simply not based it reality).

Another issue is the torque isn’t scaled correctly. I put in the equivalent of 250ftlbs of torque (the N/m equivalent I mean) and the car can HARDLY even move despite being the same weight and having the same torque (keep in mind that’s the maximum torque peak too) as it’s real life counterpart. This makes it a pain for me to be able to intuitively set up the torque curve (coupled with the RPM issue above it’s near impossible for me to make an accurate torque curve).

Does anyone know if it’s possible to set up the vehicle (engine) physics in a more “physically correct” manner? Or is it not possible and I’m going to have to find a way to fudge the system until I get something remotely acceptable?

bump
we need help