How to access mesh data from an actor in order to write it to the saveobject for future load

Hi!

This is the first time I post on the Unreal forums. The reason is that I’ve hit a wall in my project and I cannot seem to find a clear answer elsewhere. I would greatly appreciate any help.

What I want to do : save the mesh data from a mesh component from a specific actor into the save object class to be able to rebuild this specific mesh at some point in the future.

Why I need to do it : I’m using a plugin that allows me to do mesh operations like booleans and such during runtime. I’m using some of its functionalities to manipulate meshes to create a ‘final product’. I need to save the result so the user can load it at a later point.

I’ve looked into procedural meshes (docs and tutorials) but I cannot find a precise answer about how to access mesh data (vertex, edges, etc) to write it permanently somewhere else.

I’m using blueprint and had a look into the list of nodes for procedural meshes. I saw ‘build from static mesh description’ and other nodes that would seem to give me the operations I want, but I have no idea how to work with them.

The plugin I’m using : Mesh Generation and Editing at Runtime in UE4.26 — gradientspace

The plugin requires you to work with custom-made actors, containing a mesh component, in order to use the runtime mesh operations. The mesh component is not fully accessible via blueprint.

What would be the best way to handle that? Is it something that can be done in Unreal? Am I truly locked in my development?

Thanks again for your help.

1 Like