How to access Event from Animation Blueprint in Character Blueprint

I can’t access an Anim Notify Event from Animation Blueprint in Character Blueprint. I’m quite sure I messed up in casting, but I’ll elaborate the whole thing just in case. I saw similar questions answered, but still couldn’t figure out where I went wrong.

I have a character that is supposed to shoot projectiles at specific frames of certain animations. I am trying to implement that using Animation Notifies.

This is what I’ve done so far:

• Created a Blueprint (parent class:Character) for the character (BP_Smelter)
  • Created a function to fire projectile inside Character Blueprint
  • Created an animation Blueprint (parent class:AnimInstance) for the character (BP_SmelterAnim)
  • Marked the Anim Notify on an Anim Sequence (AN_Ingot)

The casting fails when trying to get the Anim Notify Event from Animation Blueprint into Character Blueprint

Similarly the casting fails when trying to get the firing Function from Character Blueprint into Animation Blueprint

PS: I’m not a programmer

The trick is to grab the event in your animation bleuprint, and then call a custom event for your character to grab, not the other way around.

In your Anim BP, when you receive the AnimNotify, you can use the GetOwningActor node to get the owning actor that you can then cast to your Character. Then, you can call any event or function of that Character.

Hope this helps!