How should I add in a basic First Person Controller/add motion blur?

Hi, this may seem like a stupid question. But how can I add in a first person player? I’m new to Unreal Engine and I don’t know how to add it. I also need to know how I can add in motion blur so I can make the camera more realistic. Please help! Thanks!

-Eric N.

I’m pretty new myself.

What template are you using for your project? If you’re using the FPS template, you should already be good to go. If you’re not, then it depends. What kind of game do you have in mind?

As for motion blur – I think that’s controlled by a Post-Process Volume, or by your camera. In your camera’s Details pane, if you scroll down you should find the Motion Blur panel. It’s deactivated by default, but if you turn it on you can mess with the settings.

I’m using a completely blank template. I’m making a mountainous/forested terrain. The point of the game is just letting the player roam around enjoying the beauty of the nature.

PS, I saw your signature. I think SS is a pretty awesome game.

I did the first 2 steps, then I got lost on step 3-5. Can you please tell me how I can do those, please? Thanks.

Thanks man. I’m only halfway through, but I think it’s awesome too.

At any rate, The Britain has the right of it if you’re starting from scratch. You need to make a character blueprint, and add a camera component and a movement component (unless the blueprint comes packaged with those, I don’t remember).

Personally, rather than start with a completely blank project, I would start with the FPS template. In said template I’d make a new level and put the terrain there. If the blue robot arms/gun bother you, you can disable them in the FirstPersonCharacter blueprint.

Or you could migrate the FirstPersonCharacter blueprint from the template to your own project. That should also work, in theory.

EDIT: Oops, didn’t see your latest post. Give me a moment.

All right, I’ll just do that. Thanks.

Okay. Let us know if you have more questions.

Yeah, I give up already. Can you tell me how I can do steps 3-5 that Britain gave? I understood 1 and 2, but not the rest. Please help! Thanks.

I’ll try, but I’m not 100% clear on what’s causing you grief. If I’m understanding those steps correctly, you need to make your character move when you give input, right? Like, AWSD makes the character move, the mouse rotates the camera, etc.?

If that’s the case, this video covers setting up inputs for the keyboard, mouse and/or gamepad. In fact, that whole playlist is useful for getting started in UE4. It certainly helped me.

Short version: to set up inputs, open up Project Settings, then Inputs, and then you’ll have to manually enter in some commands like “Move Forward” and “Turn Rate” and associate them with keyboard/mouse/gamepad prompts. It’s not especially difficult, but it’s a little tedious.

Thanks, that should finally finish up my issue. I will also try to add in motion blur to see if I will have any issues with that. I will be right back.

I found it, and it works. Thank you so much! You’ve been a big help.