How much time do you spend making games?

Just curious. How much time do you spend making games. Not just in UE4 (thought I’m sure a lot of time is spent there) but also in general.

I’ll start off by saying I work full-time, so it’s just a hobby for me. I like to dabble at least an hour a night after work. Some nights I put in a few hours. Weekends I can usually get in a good 3-4 hours a day.

Developing games is my full time job, so 9-5 weekdays and weekends, however at times it goes over night. It’s usually crazy for a full time developer anyway haha.

Even though it’s just a hobby I spend around 5-6 hours a day in game dev programs :slight_smile:

I have a full time job, but I spend all my nights and weekends on either game related projects or animation projects.

Some days I don’t touch it - others I spend more than 12 hours on it. All over the place. Probably average 4-6 hours on it I think.

Almost all my time is in development. If I’m not doing it, I’m thinking about how to develop and reading any material I can to better improve my skills.
I have 3 games I’m making right now.

I worked as a game dev before

Probably 2 hours during a weekday and 6 hours per weekend day. I’m less obsessive than I was in January / February when I was putting in twice that time. Now I"m more relaxed with it all.

I’d say around 1 - 2 hours a day. I spend a lot of time doing research, reading books, etc, so I assume that counts too.

Same. Either I’m developing, or reading/preparing for development. The majority of my day goes to developing assets. I actually have to force myself to take breaks at times. =P

time on unreal/game dev

I’m thirteen and spend 1-2 hours a day, creating games, and learning more about the way professional games are made.

I try to spend a few hours a day. Though some times I get home so burned out from work (Application developer) that I just do not want to look at more code lol

Sadly, more time than I spend playing games.

Earlier it was a 4-5 hour hobby. Now it’s a job so 9 to 5 each weekday and more than I’d like to admit in my free time.

Every time I play games I can never help feeling like I should be back in UE4. Sometimes it gets to the point where I start deconstructing how environments were created. =P

Add some anxiety from unemployment into the mix and you might find yourself missing out on an amazing job opportunity because you didn’t play enough games due to being afraid of spending your time not getting **** done to show people you can work on games. This is egg and chicken happened at the same time level of **** going on.

I’m a non game dev as well, and feel the same way sometimes.

I find when I’m in my work mindset, it takes couple days to wind down and shift towards a relaxed one - and vice versa. I don’t know, maybe I’m just weird that way.

So, are you “living the dream?”

Week days sometimes 1-2 hrs sometimes 4 hrs. But from Friday arvo’s through to Sunday evening thats all i do. I just have breaks when i feel mentally tired. At times i loose track of time. I’ll start creating assets and implement them in the scene. Next thing i know the suns coming up. Or i’ve been doing it all day and i feel hungry for some reason. And i look at the time and its almost midnight. It happens a lot when i’m modelling assets.

I can easily do 4-6 hours a day. Fortunately my wife is an artist too so we have a room we made into an office and we spend most of our nights together working on our projects.