How much and what type of ram do I need for game development?

Hello everyone. I want to build a pc for unreal engine 5 game development. I have chosen the following rig:

Processor: I7 13700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG620
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4
GPU: Zotac Rtx 4090 Trinity
SSD: Samsung PM9A1 1 TB
Ram: G.skill Trident Z Neo 32GB(2x16GB) 3600Mhz DDR4 Kit

Is 32gb ddr4 ram enough for game development with unreal engine 5?

Or,

Should I buy 32 GB DDR5 kit and mobo instead?

Or,

Should I buy 64 gigs of ddr4 ram?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

32 GB is probably going to be fine, as long as you don’t team up with a large team of artists trying to build the next AAA title :slight_smile:
64 GB will probably help, and there are demo scenes that won’t load on a 64 GB machine, so 32 GB isn’t enough for “pro level” stuff, but for learning, and using most assets from the marketplace, you’ll be OK.

2 Likes

The more you can get, the better.

But, honestly, since you’re asking that question, 32gig will be more than enough for you for quite a while probably.

On a pretty sizeable commercial project, I was having difficulty with 48gb at packaging time, and sometimes light build systems have difficulty on that same project with 128gb, but for the vast majority of development time, you’ll be well within 16 or 32gb easily.

I currently run 96GB on my personal dev machine, and do builds with a network of many, many really large machines with dozens of cores and hundreds of gigs of ram. Most of the other devs in my team have 16, 32 for the engineers.

1 Like

Thank you guys.

I am thinking to buy 64GB kit. As it will help in future.

Hi all,

There are usually 4 DIMM (RAM) slots on a motherboard.

So my advice would be to get 32GB (16x2) now, and upgrade to 64 in the future if needed. (But I’m also seeing a 4090 listed in specs… so maybe you are ‘price insensitive’ :wink: )

You can monitor how much memory your system is using in windows (CTRL + Shift + Escape) - and a long as you are not maxing it out, I don’t think there is any performance benefit of having more RAM.

Good luck!

1 Like

But there will be a problem appear again.

In future, if I will add more ram,then the added ram will not work in dual channel mode.

You’d want to get sticks that can run at the same frequency as the existing ones. At that point it would be running in ‘Quad-Channel’ mode I believe. (Although I do not expect to see much of a difference in performance)

32gb is enough as long as u don’t make too large project.
If u wanna upgrade, go for 64gb instead of ddr5

1 Like

For C++ developers i would strongly suggest 64 GB. For blueprint-only developers 32 GB should be enaugh. The same for SSD: 2 TB for C++ devs, 1 TB for blueprint devs.