How long would it take to learn programming and build a game to make money?

On average realistically 12 hours a day effort being put into this how long would one take to learn programming from scratch, learn blender, and make a game that could fetch around $300 USD a month?

Realistically speaking? 4 years? 2 years?

Like a platformer not necessarily creating all 3D models from scratch but using models already made online etc but a lot would still need to be made by me.

Takes a while, I’ve been using Blender for 2 years now and I’m still not on the level I would like to be, I can make a basic low poly mesh, but making buildings and props can be time consuming. Not a professional at all just wanted to add my input real quick try to focus on making a good game if you worry about how money you can make and how quickly you can put it together you’re going to end up on Jim Sterling and not in the good way. There so many bad games made, with little effort put into it. But you sound like you want to put the effort into it, what kind of 3d models are you going to use? And what do you plan on making on your own. Do you have a story or something in mind, is it only you making this game? Do you have help? And if you don’t know programming maybe try Unreal Engine’s Blue Prints? There’s also other 3d engines for non programmers like Copper Cube and even using Unity’s playmaker could help you so you can focus more on creating 3d assets than learning programming of course you still have to learn the visual scripting interface. I probably didn’t answer you question at as I have yet to put an actual good game together but yeah it can years to make a game and when you’re solo it can take even longer.

Realistically, there is no real answer to this. This all comes down to your ability to learn, create a game that people will ENJOY, and market once your game is published. Many hit mobile games could be made by any beginner with two months of experience (From art to programming). With enough marketing, any mediocre game can earn $300/month (Plenty of examples on Steam).

You could also be like me who has years of experience in game development, but has yet to publish any game.

ooh ok thanks guys yeah I would be building the game myself but I was mainly doing it so I can learn how to program while at the same time create a great game. Yeah I am gonna have to animate and create art myself etc never done any of this before. All I have are books and youtube including all software planning to put in minimum 12 hours a day for the next 2 years. Lets see how I do I am still deciding on what game to make I want it to be fun and interesting I have not decided what it will be but I was looking for advice on what would be suitable for a solo dev.

Perhaps a platformer? as a FPS would be too much work?

I know I would loved to do a top down ARPG something like Grim Dawn or even a Fighting Game

wow thank you

I checked out steamspy and I have decided you are RIGHT!!!

Ok here is what I found, 8 bit games that run on most PCs does NOT necessarily mean more people will play it not at all. Infact games that look interesting and have nice colors and lighting effect like this

Sell like 300k copies in 2 weeks of release.

So I have decided I will make a low poly game I assume low poly should be quicker and I will make something in space this seems to be a really good seller when dealing with other planets.

So I have decided I will make something like side scroller Mega Man OR a 3rd person game on different low poly planets with a rover with guns and being able to craft stuff.