How long will UE4 be supported into the future?

I started developing a game using UE4 a week ago. I don’t want to upgrade to UE5 for this game, because UE4 works perfectly for me and I don’t need the UE5 features.

You can easily transfer the project to UE5. IK you might not need the features and stuff, I personally also did not want to switch. But it took me like a day to get used to UE5 and now I even like it so much that I would not switch back to 4 even though I am not using the UE5 features either.

One thing that comes REALLY handy in UE5 is that you can press CTRL + SPACE to bring the content folder up so you can really access it from anywhere. It makes working with different stuff much faster and less chaotic.

IK it is not the answer you were looking for, but I just wanted to share, cause I was in your shoes not long ago.

Have a nice day!

I agree to everything you said, but unfortunately I only get about 30fps in UE5 while I get about 90fps in UE4 in the same scene (in editor) thanks to my gtx 1030.

1 Like

You can just turn off the virtual shadow maps option, and lumen. (Honestly, im not even sure why virtual shadow maps were added since they run slower than raytracing)

4.27.2 is final.
You might get critical devkit updates, but no more feature development.

The engine team already claimed that they are moving on to Unreal 5.

With any software, people are always excited to use the latest version but big teams will continue to use whichever version they started with unless there is a reason to upgrade.

UE4 is stable and in production use by small and big studios, so if you find it works for you then keep building your game in it.

Edit: There are some useful points in this discussion

1 Like