How i can make a flying game?

Hello, i´m trying to make a game that the player one control a character who fly and glide, but i’m very confused, how can i start?

Hi there

Making a flying game is complicated, not to discourage you just to let you know.

You can start by controlling the Movement mode of the player

Flying mode by default cancels Gravity, so your player would just float. You can create custom modes if you need to.

Besides that, you have to do all the work of setting up all the actual movement.
You can start by playing around with the Player Character’s physics or changing Velocity manually, depending on what you’re trying to achieve.

If you want gliding you may want some gravity affecting your character. In that case, instead of the Flying mode you may prefer to change gravity settings, or toggle between Flying and other Movement Mode.

Hope that helps getting you started somewhere with your project

5 Likes

I believe if you make a new pawn
you can specify
flying pawn

1 Like

I think it depences on the type of your game. I know 5 ways of flying pawn implementation:

1. as @GRIM_Warlock mentioned, using Flying movement mode of Character movement from Character pawn.
  2. In UE4 templates there is a Flying game template with a flying pawn. It’s a good start for making something like space sim. If you’re making your game on UE5, you can create UE4 project and try to upgrade it for UE5.
  3. There is a complex system special for flight simulators, but it primarly for realistic sims, so it could be overkill for the arcade games like Ace Combat: Antoinette Project: tools to create the next generation of flight simulators - Unreal Engine
  4. Somethere as Marketplace I have seen a flight sim template, but, of course, you need to pay for it.
  5. Make a flying movement system from scratch. There is some tutorials on Youtube how to make it.
1 Like