How good is this laptop?

Just wondering, how good is this in running games, compiling programs and developing UE4 projects?

Screenshot (5).png

EDIT: This is made by ASUS, by the way.

Not shabby. I don’t own it, haven’t ever used it. But a i7 with 12gb ram and a 960m should kick some butt. At least for a laptop.

I have never used it, but if you have to get a laptop (like I did ;() It seems pretty good, my is under the spec of yours and runs atleast the basics pretty darn good! (my has a i5 @ 2.6 > 3.1 and a 940M together with 8 GB ram)

Well, as any other laptop - it’s absolutely useless for gamedev and overpriced.

that’s not true, I have a that beats most desktops(or it at least keeps up with them), although I agree they can be pricey.

actually yes they can, mine is at least on par with the desktop epic themselves recommend as PC specifically built for developing with UE4 so saying they cant be used is complete nonsense, also you do know that you can get laptops with desktop GPU’s in right?

first of all I didn’t say it could beat all desktops but if you look at the performance survey thread you can see that most people don’t have extremely high end desktops so yes it does actually beat most desktops, as for beating your PC no but your PC is clearly better then most desktops, obviously my 980m wont beat your 980TI but as I said you can get laptops with desktops cards so that wouldn’t be hard to match, my CPU is older then yours anyway plus I didn’t go for the best I could have got because I didn’t need anything more powerful and again you can get CPUs’ in laptops much more powerful then your CPU is, I do have 32GB ram so I beat you there and as for storage I only have a 1TB 7200 HHD and 2x128GB SSD’s although they are in RAID so while you have more storage my read/write is probably faster.

now just to sum up and put this to bed, as you can get a with a desktop GPU, a much better CPU then yours, more RAM and easily the same storage, that would be a lot better then your desktop so if you basically saying “using a for game development is useless” is true then you cant use your desktop either as you can quite easily get a that beats it.

ps, even quite sucky laptops are often still capable of being used to make 2D or small 3D games with decent performance:).

I bought the G550JK as a portable version of my destop workstation which is ROG based too, so I dont need to be linked to my desk :slight_smile:
Now I hardly use my desktop (or not at all)

Just make sure it is not optimus ie the one that can switch nvidia and intel back and forth… optimus is so badly designed IMHO.

For me after being spoiled by 980TI(can support 3 montiors and does not drop fps in unreal), support for 3 monitors and 2 HDD bays is a must.
It is not that hard to find new with standard hdd bay and extra one for SSD card.
But finding that can have 3 montiors connector or even 2 and 3rd as screen is kind of impossible even with docking stations.
I just cannot imagine working in unreal on single screen. Or I rather pick 3 screens over mobility of laptop. So all you work buyers do you really need that mobility?
Do you really work on the go?