How does the Setting "Max Chunk size" work?

Hello,
my main goal is to create multiple pak files where every pak file is not bigger than a specific size. (e.g. 1GB)?

Therefor, I have activated the “Generate Chunks” Option in “Project Settings → Packaging” as well as “Use Pak File”
And I also set the option “Max Chunk Size” to “1000” (because i asume that the imput might be in MB?!?)

Also I’ve followed the Example Cooking and Chunking

by unreal and created a single Primary Asset Label in “game/Content” directory that should cover all Assets in this directory and recursive.

All this configuration seems to work. But when starting the Package Project process for Windows (x64), it freezes after this lines:

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogCook: Display: Cooked packages 1140 Packages Remain 0 Total 1140
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogCook: Display: Finishing up…
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogBlueprintCodeGen: Display: Nativization Summary - AnimBP:
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogBlueprintCodeGen: Display: Name, Children, Non-empty Functions (Empty Functions), Variables, FunctionUsage, VariableUsage
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): LogBlueprintCodeGen: Display: Nativization Summary - Shared Variables From Graph: 0

Waited for about 3 hours, without any progress and the unreal task manager processes does not change in memory size.

Can someone help me? I don’t know what to do.

Just want to split the pak file into multiple files, that are not bigger then 1 GB each.

After some more analysis I found out, that the packaging process starts to generate a ton of “pakchunk0_s{number}.txt” files (about 100 per second) into the directory “{GameDir}\Saved\TmpPackaging\WindowsNoEditor” but all theses files have a size of 0KB!
Addionally in this directory there is also a “pakchunklist.txt” that contains references to all the generated 0KB files.

The max chunk size is expressed in bytes, so if you want chunks to be 100Mb max, you should specify “100000000” (100 millions)

Also the newer UE is warning you about too small sizes in case you make a mistake.

I also turned on pak chunking with chunk size limits. When you see “Finishing up…” unreal start cross checking references to figure out what chunk to put an asset into. There is almost no indication that anything is happening, or how far along it is. But if you attach a debugger you will see this.

This takes incredibly long. What normally took us an 30-45 minutes for a complete package is now three hours+!

Two+ hours of just sitting there with no indication that anything is happening.