How does the licensing work with kids?

Your licensing terms seem to indicate that each person must sign up individually, and that I can’t share my account with anyone or let anyone who hasn’t signed up for an account use the Unreal Engine software I just downloaded.

I don’t have kids myself, but our house is frequented by my nephews and niece. I had worked with them a bit in Game Maker before, and was hoping to trade them on up a bit because we’re all pretty excited about the Oculus Rift coming out, and they might have fun trying to put together something for the Oculus Rift or Google Cardboard or the like.

However, they’re all under 13, which means they can’t legally agree to EULA stuff (as far as I understand it), which means they wouldn’t get their own accounts, certainly not accounts with that much detail to read and understand. And eventually I’d like to work with my other nephews, who are 16, but also not really mature enough that I’d trust them signing up under an EULA like that.

Your license talks about educational facilities and the ability to have students use the software without needing individual accounts. Is it possible for this to apply to children learning how to code, so I could use this (as I had originally intended when I decided to sign up for this account) as a way to teach them better coding practices than Game Maker is capable of? Or do I have to wait until the younger kids are old enough to sign up for themselves?

… I also wish you had one of those summary versions of what I just signed up for. I did my best to go through it, and my reading skills aren’t lacking, but it still made my eyes cross and I started skimming a little over halfway through. It’d be nice to have a summary, human-readable version where I could find those areas I want to better understand and go through them, but also not spend more time than is warranted going over the minutia of cover-all-eventualities legalese.

Honestly, they’re more concerned about what commercial uses the software is used for, I wouldn’t be concerned about installing the software on a computer and then letting them mess with it. I would say just install it, and if you guys end up wanting to make a commercial game (selling the game for money) then you would need to look into the license agreements more

I was kind of assuming this was the case, and I often let pragmatism win out over following the letter of an EULA anyway (most notably “There is no way I am paying for the same game four times when only one person can use the computer at a time”), but in this case, as in many, I really wish the EULA was set up to specifically allow for families to be able to share without someone breaking the agreement I just signed.

And by “families” I mean a broad enough spread to account for all of the following: Our family friends, who have 7 kids (and now a nigh uncountable passel of grandkids); my current setup, where nieces and nephews come over every weekend and this is the one place they get computer access; neighbors who drop by all the time, even though they’re not technically related to the family; and the freedom to let friends try out the software for themselves prior to signing up for an account.

On that last one: I know from my own experience that I’m strongly resistant to signing up for new accounts without knowing what I’m getting into, and having the rules set up so that you can’t try it until you “buy” it (it may be a free account, but it costs time and effort, not to mention privacy concerns whenever you hand over an email address… and trying to read that EULA was taxing) is surely driving away some people who might otherwise be interested.