How do you use a custom character movement component using the default constructor?

Hello, i know how to override the character movement class using the old FObjectInitializer constructor, but how do you do it with the default constructor?

Just recently started trying to figure this out myself.

I’m getting the sense that you can use either constructor. Like the FObjectInitializer isn’t deprecated or anything. I’ve been looking at this tutorial A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Unreal Engine Forums

We might need to know precisely why you can’t use the FObjectInitializer constructor.

I’m assuming that he doesn’t want to use the FObjectInitializer constructor as it isn’t flexible enough (can’t use e.g. multiple different movement components dynamically), and in short, I pretty much ran into a wall trying to do this. The issue is essentially due to how C++ construction was intentionally designed (see link text) along with how the Unreal Object system was implemented. If you want to do this you effectively need to change the engine source due to a combination of “hard-coded” references to specific movement components and functions not allowed to be overridden (non-virtual).

I’m sure there are many way smarter people than I, but my advice would be to give up on this idea.