How do you prevent the Parallax effect?

Hi Presto, no I think you may be getting the wrong end of the stick mate, parallax is side to side motion, its unconnected to the aim at all, I do appreciate you trying to help though.

IamBramer is right, but I don’t know how to correct that.

That’s what I meant, it’s unconnected to the aim. What I meant by connected to the whole thing is being able to aim without the parallax effect occurring in the aim reticle or the objective icon moving around on its own. If both are occurring, then it’s not working properly, as far as I understand. I’ve had enough of the confusion here though.

The biggest question is still, why do you want to “correct” something, that already works correct and the same as in real life? With such different distances between your mountains (furthest away), your target box (medium distance) and platform with player(very close), that effect is absolutely expected, and changing the game to not behave this way, makes it harder to determine the distances between those different objects.
That black box is way closer than the mountains by your description, so that movement relative to the mountain is normal.

What could be, is that the movement is to strong for the actual distances, then i guess, it have something to do with how you set up the mountains and everything else.

Besides, you got some math showed as a starting point, how i did it in Cinema 4D. If you break it down, it should be just some cross multiplication or the rule of three: Distance player - mountain and distance target - mountain, compared to sidewards movement of the player relative to mountain, and how much the box would have to move accordingly (or something like that). I think, i used a different reference point, the weaponsight plane, but the principle should be the same. You just have to figure out, which distance you have to use with which sidewards movement.

The issue why it needs to be remedied is its a bit too strong and the games intended for a pretty old non gamer audience as a therapeutic environment and they’re struggling to find the game targets.

Being a non programmer its pretty difficult to isolate what needs to be changed exactly

Have you asked them, why they struggle to find the targets? What do they say? And what hints or what kind of hints do they get (from you or the game) to find the target?

Seeing this pic and reading, what your game should be for, i am even more convincend, that your approach to get rid of that parallax effect is not helpful. The game then should offer hints and waypoints, that are more obvious, and a fixed part of the same world, not like the mountains, that are right now independent from your world or map. From your description, the mountains are just some sort of rough compass replacement, far outside of your mini level, so they should be used just as that, to get the rough orientation. Like Mountains are always in the north, gigantic tower/tree/pillar of eternity in the west, ocean south, and Godzilla silhouette marks east, just as an example.
And then the game have several more prominent things within your level, and deliver hints, in which direction they have to proceed, if they actually find one of those prominent things. And those hints then should work regardless of parallax effects, or those hints are worthless. Not hints like, look at the base of the mountain, because the mountain are not part of your world, they are outside of your world and unreachable, so any try to reach them ends in failure (and your black box isn´t even at the base of the mountain, it´s in the middle of a sea, which have moutains far behind it ^.^). More like, if you are HERE at prominent object X, then just head to the mountains until you reach other prominent thing Y.

Being eldery and non gamer does not necessarily translate to having no navigational skills. A 70 year old pathfinder would still beat most of us here in path finding out in the wilderness (he may be not well on foot but he probably possess more knowledge about navigation than most here). Same ingame, once that person got used to the game mechanics. But the game mechanics and whatever the game offer to solve the levels need to be understandable for everyone ( like… idiot-proof).

They’re finding it difficult as it looks like the target location has moved, because of the resultant parallax, because we’re testing their ability to navigate, we can’t give them clues

Mountains are for rough compass points, the map requires the user to find targets in a 10M x 10M area based on the mountains, but parallax is still evident, hence the need to remedy it somehow without making targets larger or physically moving them.

​​​​​​​
I agree, but again they’re finding it pretty difficult as it looks like the target location has moved…