How do you prevent Blurry Pixels after Packaging a 2D game?

Hi - I am trying to package a 2D game - in editor everything is all nice sharp pixel sprites. I used the apply Paper2D sprite settings method and pretty sure all the textures have mipmaps off. I turned off antialiasing where I could find it.

When I package the game into a windows build all the sprites get blurry and even have artifacts. It’s almost like in the packaging process the images are being reimported with the wrong settings. All the pixels are blurred on all sprites.

Anyone know what checkboxes I might need to hit to get this to package with sharp pixelated sprites? Thank you for your help!

In Editor:

In packaged game:

Try putting this in the level BP on begin play

Also try

2 Likes

thanks I gave adding those console commands a go - added those to both my start screen level bp and my main game level bp and the blurry sprites persist after recooking and packaging for shipping.

Here are the package settings - not sure this is really where the problem is… (seems like its in how the texture processing is happening…)

When you’re in the packaged game, can you open the console?

I think I found the issue - every sprite texture needed the filter set to Nearest. That seems to have done the trick. I also disabled texture streaming and clicked a bunch of other boxes this seems to have done it.

nearest

7 Likes

Hey this worked great,

My issue is I have over 130 pieces of pixel art in my game. Going through individually and changing each one is currently going to have to happen.

Does anyone know a faster route to change them all to nearest at the same time?

You can use the Property Matrix to update multiple assets at once.

In the Content Browser, Select all the textures you want to update,

Right Click → Asset Actions → Edit Selection in Property Matrix

In the Property Matrix Select all the textures you want to update and change the settings.

1 Like

Omg you god! That’s saved me hours of clicking, even loading 20 pages at a time is a nightmare. Turned out I had closer to 300/400 pieces of pixel art. I can do them all in like 5 mins lol.

Brilliant, thank you for that and for being insanely fast, I literally just started the mindless clicking, got about 45 in and decided to recheck the forums quickly.

1 Like