How do you know the dimensions?

In the following image I am standing on ground level in front of a building.

There is so much wrong with it, I am unsure where to start with my questions.

• If you use an ACharacter, do you match the size of the world to the size of the ACharacter or the other way around?
  • How do you calculate the size of things? Like in this example, the walls? How could I have known that I was creating a house for Barbie instead of one for me?
  • How do you prevent the corners to be like that? Overlapping, ugly?
  • Is there a way in the UE-Editor to resize on one end only? You get my drift? If the left side is perfect and I just need it a bit longer on the right side? DO I have to move and size or can I just size in one direction instead of two directions at once?
  • Is there a logic to be able to plan in meters and centimeters and then create it in the Editor?

You don’t have to type it out if you can just link me to something which is for UE5.
I am so fed up with UE4 links which don’t work or if I use them I find later sources which tell the asking one to not use it that way because UE5 is now doing it differently.

I am currently using UE4 books because I did not find a good UE5 book.
The only one which seemed interesting was a very bad copy/paste conversion of an UE4 book which I already owned and the UE5 version was not even valid in code or direction in many cases.

1 Like
  • do not change the size of the character, scale the world around them
  • 1 unreal unit = 1 centimetre, a character is 180uus tall by default
  • either align them properly or use proper software to design the whole thing or matching modules
  • the editor is for blocking stuff out, not for creation of high poly models. The tools are maturing slowly but they’re unlikely to match something like Blender any time soon.
  • yes, the editor already works in cm

If you switch the to Top view, you can hold MMB and drag to measure distance:

Also:

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.