How do you import splines from another application?

I’ve seen a lot of posts about creating splines within the editor using blueprints and extruding meshes along them, which is really cool! But is there a way to import splines from an outside app, just for rendering with SplineThicken, rather than using as part of a BluePrint? When I try to import via FBX, 3d mesh geometry comes in but splines do not.

I was thinking that for a project with lots of pipe-like geometry–railings, electrical conduit, round ducts–that it would be faster/less expensive to render as a spline with the SplineThicken material, rather than importing all of that as 3d mesh. Is that correct, or would it be faster to render a 3d mesh?

Since we have the splines in another 3d application already, it would be great to not have to remodel them.

It has been about 10 months since this question was posted, but I also would like to know the answer to this. I have a scene with many spline objects, and would like to bring them into UE4 in the least memory intensive manner possible.

Would love to see it too. I don’t want to sound rude now. Last month i put the destruction stuff on our “nogo” list for the roadmap. Today, i sadly had to discover that UE4 is not capable to import simple Spline points 1,2,3 to build a Spline. Actually i am the Level designer in charge to deal with splines today. I’m an 3D Artist, not a C++ coder so what are my options here to import splines into UE4. I tried converting these to polygons but UE4 4.10 is not importing the FBX (2014), ending up with an error.

You have to understand my position…i don’t want to sound rude or want to make you guys angry. Actually this is how i see a spline tool inside UE4.
http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=2208

I’m working on a Houdini Engine Digital Asset to export/import splines from your DCC app (Maya/3Ds Max/Cinema) to Unreal Engine 4.
the Houdini Digital Asset reads the spline/curve from the DCC app and converts it to a ‘copy paste’ value Unreal is able to read.
Still some small bugs with rotationvalues. It was fun and I’ve learned a lot about Python.
I can put it on Gumroad for free when its done.

[][1]

[1]:

I’m working on a Houdini Engine Digital Asset to export/import splines from your DCC app (Maya/3Ds Max/Cinema) to Unreal Engine 4.
the Houdini Digital Asset reads the spline/curve from the DCC app and converts it to a ‘copy paste’ value Unreal is able to read.
Still some small bugs with rotationvalues. It was fun and I’ve learned a lot about Python.

I can put it on Gumroad for free when its done.

[][1]

[1]:

I would also love it if UE4 natively imported splines. Alan Noon’s solution doesn’t work for me as I don’t have 3DS.

vonBerg, is there any progress on your solution?

Is this still missing from UE4? I can’t find a solution, in 2018.

Just updating the link since the original has moved here: Blender Curves To Unreal Engine Splines Importer Plugin