How do you create a moving emissive effect?

Hey everyone! Hoping i put this question in the correct category.

I’m working on a university project and I’m trying to figure out how you can make have like a wavy/moving emission effect on a material/an asset? Adding a video here from Mass Effect: Andromeda for reference.’

It’s how the symbols on the walls are glowing up in in a “wave”. Not sure what to call this and I’ve tried googling a bunch of stuff to try and figure it out, but havent found anything yet.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Supp

Hey there @suppehue1! So if we’re talking about the emissive pattern on the walls and such, I think they are just kind of panning around a noise texture and lerping or multiplying for the emission. I didn’t have a good noise texture on hand for this on hand so I used the start content water as a map. it’s depending on whatever noise texture you use and you can even have a sine to lighten or darken it. I used contrast for this one but I turned it off to show this off.

This is plugged into the emissive

For this result:
2022-09-28_22-04-46

It would definitely need more processing past the texture portion to get the exact look, but this will settle as a base to get started! Hope this helps!

Heya! Thanks for the quick reply! Gonna give it a try today, but just a quick side question - How would you make this work with an emission map from a material youve made in substance painter/designer? Would you just combine them with add/multiply before plugging them into emissive? sorry if it is a noob question, havent worked that much with materials, or UE yet

Thank you again for the reply! I was able to make the blueprint you sent me work how i want, i just need to make a better texture with a gradient to get the effect i want just right.

The only question I have now is how linked to what I wrote in my first reply: what changes would I have to make to get this to work with an emissive texture that I`ve already made. Seeing as this is made using the ambient occulusion you created (im assuming the bump offset with the hexagon is just to create the actual ambient occlusion texture). Would i just replace that whole process with an emission map, and then just connect that into the last multiply that goes into the emissive color?

Thank you so much again!

• Supp

No worries! You got it right, if you already have an emission map ready you don’t have to generate it. Just multiply it by the bottom half, maybe process it a bit more if you need a specific effect and you should be good to go. Give it a try and let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers again! Really appreciate the quick and effective help! I’ll come back if I have any questions or issues within the next week or so. Still working on getting all our assets and stuff together so I don’t have a finished material to properly test it on, but I’m super happy with the results you helped me get! Thanks again!

• Supp
1 Like