How do you cache chao destruction simulation? (UE 4.26 & 5)

Hi All, I’ve been trying to use Chaos in the in various versions of Unreal, but have been unable to cache any of my simulations. The section appears to be greyed-out.

Capture

As I am a complete noob, I suspect I am likely missing a step. Can anyone provide me with some guidance?

Hi Camaroniii, if you are familiar with creating a geometry collection and you have it fractured, you can place your geometry collection in the level, right click it, at the bottom of the sub menu is Cache I think and you can create a chaos cache manager. IT then creates itself in the world, you can find the cache manager and first create the cache object there is some cache object you create in details panel if you click search icon (you need this since it stores your recorded data), then click Record button, make sure you have a way to trigger your geometry collection being fractured so when you play the game, you can have it trigger, then once you played the game with it breaking, you can click play instead of record in chaos cache manager and thats it.

1 Like

Hi Wompa,

Thank you so much for the insights! Would you be able to elaborate more on how to attached the object to the cache manager?

So far I am able to follow:

1. Add Mesh into scene
  2. Activate fracture editing
  3. Enable ChaosCaching Plugin in Edit>Plugin
  4. Right-click Scene > Create Cache Manager
  5. ?

I assume I will need to use Blueprints to cast to ChaosCacheManger but do not know how to do this (i.e. what nodes are required).

Thank you for you support!

1 Like

Right click your geometry collection that you need to put into the world, so in ur editor you should have some geometry collection you created when doin fracture, right click it, and create cache manager at bottom and the cache manager is an object in the world.

1 Like

I got as far as adding an item to my Cache Array Element inside of the Chaos Cache Manager but, every time I try to click the plus button to add something it crashes the engine. Using Unreal 5.0.0

I guess the plugin is still experimental

This seems to have changed a lot in 5.0.3. Any idea why I can’t right-click and find the Cache option from the sub-menu of the GC? I have the Chaos Cache plugin activated.

Here is a late answer to the question. Enable these plugins first,

-Chaos Solver
-Chaos Editor
-Chaos Caching

(Optional plugins)
-Chaos Cloth
-Chaos Cloth Editor
-Chaos Niagara

This video then explains how to cache your chaos destruction.

Hope this late answer helped you!

1 Like

Yes, I was also facing this issue. Kindly guide about this.

At the top of the screen under the actor tab towards the bottom of the menu there is the sub heading chaos, and under that is chaos cache manager. the sec thing is if you dont want to go through the trouble of connecting the geo collections to the chaos cache manager select you geo collections your caching first then create the cache manager and it will set it all up for you.