How do import a tiled landscape and image tiles

Good Morning Everyone,

My first ever post here!
I am new to Unreal though a 3D Illustrator and Landscape designer for Flight Simulators for about 15 years.

Here’s simple application I want to get stated with.
A tiles Mesh with Satellite Imgaes:
I exported a 3D Terrain mesh as 256 raw files (1009*1009 px) from a Gis software (geographic information system).
the tiles import perfectly into Unreal after playing around with the scales and offsetting the landscape.

Now I would like to avoid applying all the 256 textures manually.
Similar to the LayerBlend function, where greyscale weightmap tiles can be imported during landscape creation, I would like to import my 256 Sat images straight away.

Any Ideas?

Best regards

(Just in case you come up with the same problem as I had: In unreal 16 BIT RAW ranges from -256m to 256m. Digital elevation Mesh range from 0 - 2^16 meter = 65.536m
Hence you have to scale vertically by a factor of 12800 and offset by 12800*256 = 3.276.800 in order to import correctly)

Yep. Automate the process with Auto Hot Key.

CoordMode, Mouse, Screen, Pixel
SendMode Input
F12::
If (State==10020) {
State=Off
} else {
State=10020
}
SetTimer SendKey, %State%
Return

SendKey:
Sleep, 500
MouseClick, Left, 1499, 1022
Sleep, 500
Send {Shift Down}
Send {2}
Send {Shift Up}
Sleep, 1000
ImageSearch, FoundX, FoundY, 0, 0, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight, .\paint-layer.png
MouseClick, Right, FoundX, FoundY
Sleep, 300
ImageSearch, FoundX, FoundY, 0, 0, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight, .\fill-layer.png
MouseClick, Left, FoundX, FoundY
Sleep 1000
ImageSearch, FoundX, FoundY, 0, 0, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight, .\active-tile.png
Sleep 100
Send {Right}
Sleep, 10
Send {Enter}
Sleep, 500
ImageSearch, FoundX, FoundY, 0, 0, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight, .\save-button.png
Sleep, 5000
Return

For the images to work you need to crop them from your monitor with your resolution settings, so I won’t provide them. It’s best if you cut the text small. something like this.
iconsexample.png

The smaller and more cut to unique text they are the better.

The script assumes that you already processed 1 tile correctly. Open up the tiles folder, load up the first tile. go into landscape mode / select the paint tab (which is important since the script expects it to be open by default) / Apply the first layer with “fill” option. Click on the level tile of the active level, keyboard right to move to the next. enter to open. save dialogue pops up. clicks save. loops for the next.

After the landscape is setup correctly you can modify the material however you see fit.
The landscape does not come “painted” with the first layer unless you used a splat map. Realistically I don’t think anyone ever does unless they bring things in from world machine.

As far as the material and the UV for the tile, I need to work on that myself, so if I get to it in today’s work day I’ll post back with a screenshot.

Hi **BjoernKaul, **did you find a proper solution to your solution. I am also looking into something similar and would appreciate some help.