How do I stretch a texture to fit the entire surface and not just make a lot of small squares?

I am very new to any kind of content design, and this is my first time ever using Unreal Engine 4. I watched a Youtube video on making a simple square room which I did, but I want to use my own textures since I actually plan on making my own game. I took some pictures of the carpet in my room. The pictures are 2560x2560 (125% scale of 2048x2048). They are pretty high quality and should look good on the floor. But it makes them into a bunch of little boxes, I just want it stretched to fit the entire surface.

I am a huge noob at this so please explain everything very simply and in detail.

The answer is here by
Plainly: Open up your material, right click go to landscape->texture coordinate node, make a node from texture coordinate node to your texture map and there adjust it

If you are having problems, see here how to set up a coordinate node

Uhm… is there any simpler methods? I tried following your directions and 's and have no idea what you’re talking about. I tried watching that video but he is very hard to understand, even after rewinding and listening many times I can’t understand what he is doing.

You don’t have to listen, you just have to see WHAT he does. I’m not on pc atm, when I go home I will take pictures to show you exactly how it is done if by then no one else hasn’t explained to you.

-either export the mesh into a 3d program and create a new uv map
-or use the texture coordinate node -> open the material - add a texture coordinate node and connect it with the uv from your diffuse map - in the node settings change the scale :slight_smile:

Do you use a mesh or a bsp?

Uhm I tried to hook up the texture coordinate node but I think something’s wrong… why is this happening?

Also can you tell me if this is correct? The carpet would be the texture, that blue map node is what actually gives it the texture looking like grass (is there a better map for carpet than grass??) and the texture coordinate node will let me scale it?

Uhmm I don’t really understand. What is a mesh? I took a square from the BSPs part of the menu and changed the size to how I wanted it, the copied it, dragged new ones out, rotated them and whatnot to make walls and a roof.

You have to connect the texture coordinate node with the UVs from the diffuse texture sample :wink:
The normal map (the blue thing) will add “depth” to the texture -> you could generate your own normal map especially for your carpet texture

mesh = object that you create in a 3d program

I set it up the right way, but can you tell me why my texture looks like this?? This isn’t what a carpet looks like…

Connect a constant vector with a value of one with the roughness link

Btw, when you use BSP brushes, you dont have to scale the texture in your material -> you can do it with the U and V scale in the details panel :slight_smile:

Are you sure? I don’t see how I can do it in the details menu anywhere. I looked several times before even posting this. Also, a constant2vector, constant3vector or constant4vector? By roughness, do you mean the field just marked ‘R?’

1. select the bsp brush
  2. select a face of the bsp
  3. in the details panel you can change the size
  4. click on apply

048975011bfe491281c3ccc43ebbebb522ad77bd.jpeg

How do I get the bsp brush? :confused:

As I assume that you dont use a static mesh (question before) you use a BSP brush -> BSP brush = the in-engine geometry (I personally wouldnt use them for your levels -> not so good for the performance = mostly they are just used for prototyping)

My floors, walls and ceiling are ‘StaticMeshActors’ instead of ‘brush’ so I don’t have surface properties… did I just waste hours doing this when I can’t even scale my textures properly???

Then you have to use the way with the texture coordinate :wink:

So why doesn’t everyone just uses brushes and scale it instead of doing the coordinate thing?? I can’t understand how to get that to work

Because of the reason that I mentioned above (“not so good for the performance = mostly they are just used for prototyping”) + your meshes wont be just basic shapes (e.g you can’t create a high quality character with BSP brushes) + you cant uv map your mesh (so no complex textures) -> that’s why you use static meshes