How do I smooth out imported alembics?

Do you know a method to divide and render the mesh of geometry imported in Alembic?

When I turn a high-poly mesh into Alembic, it becomes a huge file size, so I want to import an Alembic with a moderate number of vertices and make it smooth only when drawing, like tessellation.

How do you all solve this problem?

Seeing as alembic is caching multiple vertex positions (so you can export stuff like tearing cloth etc) the denser your mesh the more data it will generate.

You could try reducing high poly mesh through a remeshing process. Most new 3d programs have some form of automatic retopology. This will surely cut the file size.

Depending on the 3d program you may be able to select what alembic exports and what is cut out during the export process.
alemb

Thank you for your reply. I guess there’s no choice but to output in high-poly when detail is needed.

I’ve heard that UE4 has tessellation and it could be applied to the imported Alembic. I fully understand the reason for removing tessellation in UE5, and most of the technologies can be substituted with new features, but it seems impossible for Alembic. This is a critical issue in cinematics.

I’m considering trying methods such as geometry scripting, but it’s a big problem that so much time is being spent on a problem that could be solved by tessellation alone.

I’m seriously considering whether to use UE4. It’s such a ridiculous worry.