I somehow can’t figure out how to setup the level streaming in the (experimental) World Browser. As a first shot, I would like to load levels based on player distance (by the way, is the same distance used for unloading?).
How do I do that? Thanks for your help!
World Browser expects that your world will be built from tiles. Tile it’s a streaming level, so it can be streamed in and out. To get started you need to:
- Create a persistent level which has only things that will be always loaded (atmosphere, sun light, skydome etc ).
- Save it under some folder where all your world maps will be. ex: Game/Maps/BigWorld/BigWorld_P.umap.
- In the World Browser use File->Open World command to open your persistent level.
- Now you can start to add tile maps to your world. ‘File->Add New Level’
- Create for example landscape in your first tile. (Make it current level before creating landscape actor)
- Landscape can be extended in a World Browser by adding new adjacent tiles. Right-Click on a just created landscape tile in your world minimap and you should see options to extend it. By doing that you can quickly populate your world with new tiles. Eventually you can end up with some thing like this:
To change a streaming distance of the tiles, you need to create a new layer (‘+’ button on top of minimap) and enter there desired streaming distance. Then assign tiles to a new layer via tiles context menu.
We are working on World Browser showcase right now, so you can expect to see it in the near future.
The picture is unavailable. Also, when using this - does the world origin reset when entering a new tile? And is there a way to have the world tiles wrap? I would like to have a “round” world where you can walk over from the last tile to the first.
Thanks for the guidelines so far.
There doesn’t seem to be any way to remove layers from the world browser or remove levels from the overview on the left of the window or modify existing layer settings. Also do you have a recommended world tile size? 250m, 500m etc? And is there a way to modify the stream distance of the layer during runtime? Changing it together with the view distance would be my reason.