How do I set my VIEWPORT resolution to 2560x1080 (21:9)?

I want to set my viewport preview to a specific resolution, 2560x1080 (21:9). I know I can render out a movie at any resolution but that doesn’t help when trying to frame the camera for shots.

I know that can change the filmback resolution to one of the presets (none of which are widescreen) or use custom settings but sensor size doesn’t mean anything. I tried using a pixel to mm conversion, entering those values made the engine crash.

Unless I’m being completely naive and everyone who needs widescreen renders is just guessing their framing or is editing the engines .ini files or something.

I know its possible because I have seen it in tutorials but I can’t figure it out for myself.

tldr
How do I set my viewport resolution to 2560x1080 (21:9)?

Thanks if anyone can help.

Hi okwlBoy - I have a camera set to close to 21:9. I set my sensor values to 34.4 mm wide and 14.4 mm high. If I wanted to make it exactly 21:9 I’d do 33.6 width and 14.4 height, you can try that.

The idea that you can do a conversion between pixels and mm is wrong - what you’re really after is the right aspect ratio. In the future you should leave the sensor height the same and just calculate what the new width should be.

The math I used in this case:

21/9 = 2.333333

x/14.4 = 2.333333

2.333333 * 14.4 = 33.59999 ~= 33.6.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for you help dg-ani! I will use you method in the future. I literally typed in 21mm and 9mm which worked for the time being. Hopefully they add a more friendly way of getting around this.