How do I restore from an auto save?

My project played fine in the editor but crashed when I tried to play it as a standalone game. Now the editor crashes when I try to load my project. I can create a new project and everything works fine.

This is the error I received:

Assertion failed: !bGenerateNonMirroredCollision || CookedDataReader.ConvexMeshes.Num() == 0 || CookedDataReader.ConvexMeshes.Num() == AggGeom.ConvexElems.Num() [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\PhysicsEngine\BodySetup.cpp] [Line: 120]

Stack:
Address = 0xf2674ba6 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Core.dll]
Address = 0xf24f8605 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Core.dll]
Address = 0xdc2cc67f (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Engine.dll]
Address = 0xdc2e8cd4 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Engine.dll]
Address = 0xf2d2b7ea (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-CoreUObject.dll]
Address = 0xf2d94b26 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-CoreUObject.dll]
Address = 0xf2da5fc8 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-CoreUObject.dll]
Address = 0xdf1692b4 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll]
Address = 0xdf15c4bd (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll]
Address = 0xdf14a261 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll]
Address = 0xdf457a60 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll]
Address = 0xdf1c2864 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll]
Address = 0xdf1c24b8 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll]
Address = 0xdf491570 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll]
Address = 0xdf456590 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll]
GuardedMain() 0x3f4ec3bd + 0 bytes [File=d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.4\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:125] [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe]
GuardedMainWrapper() 0x3f4ec4ea + 5 bytes [File=d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.4\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:125] [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe]
WinMain() 0x3f4f81c9 + 17 bytes [File=d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.4\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:201] [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe]
__tmainCRTStartup() 0x3f4f8ff9 + 21 bytes [File=f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c:618] [in C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe]
Address = 0x775459ed (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll]
Address = 0x7777c541 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll]
Address = 0x7777c541 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll]

Try checking backups in Saved/Backup

I was hoping there was a way to restore everything to a last known good state.

I narrowed the problem down to a single corrupt map that Iโ€™ve been working on for three days. Unfortunately, all of the auto saves for that map crash the editor.

HA, autosave is pretty useless to be honest at this moment in time. I disable it as it never really works and pops up without warning while you are working (and preventing you from working)

I do hope they improve the saving functionallity of UE4 as it seems to not always work even when you hit โ€œsave allโ€

You hit the nail right on the head. Auto Saves are junk and should be removed from the system. Iโ€™ve tried to restore previous backups but nothing seems to work. I think Epic just likes to keep broken stuff for some reasonโ€ฆbeen that way since ue3.

1 Like

Iโ€™m in the same boat. How did you restore previous states? My main level map is corrupted :frowning:

Not so sure. I have been able to recover my map that, suddenly, had been broken after a crash. The only thing I was supposed to do was to delete the two files of the crashed map and restore the ones coming from the backup directory. As backup marks them with dates in the name, the only thing I did is to โ€œcleanโ€ the name, removing the date and voilรก, everything is working fine now.

1 Like

It was confusing, but after many tries i figured it out.
(Iโ€™m going to use โ€œExampleโ€ as an example map)

1: Go to Documents>UnrealProjects>MyProject>Saved>Autosaves>Game>ThirdPersonBP>Maps

1. Copy the latest Example_Auto.umap and Example_BuiltData_Auto.uasset

2. Paste them into Documents>UnrealProjects>MyProject>Content>ThirdPersonBP>Maps

3. Remove any old instances of that map

4. Rename Example_Auto.umap to Example.umap and do the same to Example_BuiltData

5. Open Unreal Engine

6. Open your project

7. See if it works

If it doesnt work try it again with an older autosave

Hope this helps someone!

6 Likes

Hey man you made my day, actually my week.

just wnna thank you alot for sharing your experience. thank you sir :pray: :pray: :pray:

you are the biggest walking w alive, thank you even after these long years with helping me restore my crashed project.

Dude, you are timeless. appriciate

You are my hope thanks

what worked for me is replacing my old umap file with the autosaved one in windows explorer. Just literally overwrite it, changing the name to remove the _Auto postfix.

Thanks! I was so sad losing my file today, I was able to get it back by deleting my corrupted map and replacing it with the saved auto map.