How do I reset all settings and remove all changes?

I’d like to reset all settings and remove any changes that could have been made to the UE4. Recently, it started bugging like crazy. I tried completely reinstalling UE4, but it didn’t make any difference, I still can’t open even the “Content Examples”.

How can I reset it entirely?

1 Like

Hey IhorM -

I am seeing your problems both posted here and in the bug reports section. I want to ask a few questions to get an idea of what has happened and how we can get you up and running again. You say that you have completely reinstalled UE4, but did you uninstall before you reinstalled the engine, and did you delete the unreal project folder in the Documents directory. Also in your other post, you say that the compiled version fixes “most” of the problems, with the compiled version are you still having problems and if so what are they?

-Eric Ketchum

To reset all local changes, delete the contents of your project’s /Saved/Config/ directory.

If you changed the default settings of your project, however, then things get more complicated, because that will modify the Default INI files in the project’s /Config/ directory, and we currently do not have a mechanism to reset those to the project template defaults (this is something we’re working on right now).

If you remember which project template your project was created from, then you can delete the contents of your project’s /Config/ directory and overwrite it with the contents of the /UE4/Templates/TemplateName/Config/ directory.

Things started working from the new build, but later it crashed when I did some stuff and tried to change view to Orthogonal. It opened later, but now, after a day, for no apparent reason, the project doesn’t open at all. So… You really need to work more on the existing bugs than on making new ones (expansion). The engine would be cool enough even with the existing features, would it not have bugs. At least not that many. I wonder if you guys make your own games using Blueprint, or are you coding them on C++, because it’s so ■■■■ buggy and it’s bugs can easily trash the whole project.

I don’t think this is good advice. After deleting /Saved/Config directory, the engine recopied all the starter content again and removed all my own changes to them. So I had to recover my level from autosave.

Thank you, this worked for me! I spent a day and a half with a crash that seemed like some kind of data corruption on my machine. Tried almost everything else but deleting that folder fixed it instantly. I was getting errors about Ensure condition failed: ClippingStack.Num() != 0