How do I replace an animation on a character with a new one?

I have a combat system I bought but unfortunately the animations weren’t correctly retargeted and the character model looks all distorted.

I’ve gone through the process of retargeting all the animations by adjusting the poses to match and exporting them out.

I now have a bunch of files named the same as the original animations with the suffix _retargeted but I can’t work out how to replace the original animations.

When I try to export them to an FBX file the editor crashes every time with the error:
“exporting animation Assertion failed: IsRotationNormalized()”. This seems to be a UE5 bug.

I tried making a new pawn and exporting all the animations and blueprint to a new pawn but then I get errors that the mesh skeleton is returning nothing:
“blueprint runtime error: “accessed none trying to read property callfunc_getaniminstance_returnvalue_8”. node: stop slot animation graph:”

I tried to initialise the mesh and the animation mode on begin play but that didn’t help. I traced the blueprints back and can’t see anything wrong with all the declarations.

I tried to delete the existing animation but it wants to destroy references. I tried to rename the retargeted animation to the correct name and drag it into the folder with the original animation and it tells me the ‘rename failed’.

I try to google search or youtube search for guides and I can’t find the right keywords for my problem.

So my question is, what is the correct process for replacing animations on a character with new versions but you want to use the same file name. Is there a way I haven’t tried?

1 Like

Hello @Markwolfenstein and welcome to our community!

Take a look at the short tutorials I did:

yeah … always

I figured out the solution was to delete the original animation file and replace the reference with the new animation file. Unfortunately this is incredibly time consuming to do it for 200 files but it worked.

Thanks for your help.

I use to check this, but if you prefer do it one by one…

3 Likes