how do i properly import textures from Blender to Unreal Engine 4.27?

Hey guys, I know that you can make complicated textures in ue4 but I already made a nice looking texture in Blender but every time I import the FBX into ue4, it doesn’t bring along the proper textures with it.

Here is how the texture looks in Blender:

And here is how it looks like in UE4:

Any help/solution is appreciated :).

Hello, the textures in UE4 screengrab look like it is a low resolution texture. The texture in Blender looks like a high resolution texture. May be you just need to make sure the texture resolution is correct when you import them into UE4.

I cant find the option

Hey @Jell.Buck!

Would you mind sharing your import settings as well as how you set up your material?

Hello, lets see what the resolution of the imported texture is. Open Windows Explorer and check out the texture resolution. I would imagine your preferred resolution would be 2048 x 2048 or 4096x4096.

Verify the imported texture is the same image.

1. Open the Content folder.
  2. Find the texture maps.
  3. Double click on them, one at a time.
  4. then verify the resolution of the imported texture.

If the image is smaller than 1024 x 1024 then I would assume you would just need to export a higher resolution of the preferred texture from your source DCC. Make sure your Albedo, Normal, AO, and etc textures are all a high resolution.

This is a simple material set up to verify your albedo and normal map.

Hello, thank you for the response :grinning:.

Here is the texture resolution (2048x2048)

And heres my import settings:

Here is how the material is in blender:

Are you using the same 2048x2048 texture in Blender?
Or are you procedurally generating the texture in Blender? A procedural texture applied in Blender can absolutely look different in UE.

Can you re-apply the same UE texture into a clean Material in Blender, without any procedural set up? If the re-applied texture looks the same in Blender as it does in UE (pixelated), then you need to make your UV islands bigger with only a 16 pixel spacing between UV islands. Or increase your texture resolution to 4096x4096.

But there is a lot of unused space in your texture; lots of large gaps between the UV islands. Making your UV islands bigger will defiantly give you more resolution. All you need is a 16 pixel gap between UV islands.

O’ your texture pasted in the chat looks like it is semi transparent (I think, I see a little bit of a checkerboard patter under the textured parts.). But the screen grabs of the texture applied to your geometry looks like it is opaque.

im using the same one for blender.

I didnt know the gaps n stuff mattered but thanks for telling me im gonna try to fix it

If the same texture look good in Blender, then I am at a loss as to why the same texture looks pixelated in UE. Sorry.

thats fine, i believe the problem is not that the texture looks bad in ue4 compared to blender. I believe the texture is not being imported into blender AT ALL when I import it because it doesnt create a material when i imported it, I had to do it manually.