How do I open .uasset files in UE4?

When I try to open .uasset files either by clicking on them and choosing to open using UE4 or by dragging them into the content browser of a new project, I am unable to do so. In the first case, the project browser opens but I’m unable to open my .uasset files. In the second case, I receive a message from the system stating that the file on whatever path is not recognized because “.uasset” isn’t a recognized extension. What should I do? Thanks.

If you drag a uasset file into the project content folder from outside ( ie windows ), you will be able to open it -IF- the asset was made in the same version of the engine ( or a previous one ).

It wont work if you drag a new engine version asset into the content folder of an older project.

Also be aware that it’s very easy to screw up your references by doing this and it’s not recommended.

Understood. How else could I open a uasset file then?

.UASSET files are made to be readable only by the editor. They are not files you just open from the file manager. What exactly are you trying to do? If you’re trying to move UASSET files from one project to another, right click them->asset actions->migrate.

That’s it, you have to open them in the engine, with the correct version.

And have a proper plugins enabled if it’s asset from plugin

Within the editor right click the assets and choose Migrate. This preserves dependencies and references over to the other project Content folder you choose.

Is there a way to check which UE version the uasset file was created in? I think it was UE 4.18 or previously version the files were created in so I insatalled UE 4.20 to be sure. But when I drag the uasset files to the new project’s content folder and start the project, I don’t see any files in the content browser.
Could there be other things causing the files to not be visible?