How do I open the PlayerController?

I was under the assumption that the PlayerController and character Blueprint were the same thing, but it looks like that’s not the case. I found the PlayerController referenced in the Defaults of the game Blueprint, it even had the little ‘find in Content Browser’ button, but it doesn’t go anywhere.

This should probably be really obvious, but how do I open the PlayerController?

What is the purpose of you opening the PlayerController blueprint? It is a more primitive class that you’d want to make a subclass of if you want to make edits to it. Check out this link in the docs that shows you how to make changes to the defaults of PlayerController in a subclass blueprint.

Hope this helps

When trying to figure out how to do things in the editor, I repeatedly see ‘open the PlayerController’, with no mention of how to actually do it.

That documentation page explains how to create a PlayerController, but not how to locate or open an existing one. Do the examples that come with the engine not have one already, or even need one?

Thanks.

Are you working from a template or starting from scratch? If starting from scratch, you should make a new PlayerController Blueprint and reference that.

Thanks, iveytron.

I am taking the previously mentioned advice of not editing it, but for the record if you go to your game mode, it will show the default playercontroller as it’s player controller. Next to it is a magnifying glass that will take you to it’s location, which turns out to be in the EngineC++ directory.

“I am taking the previously mentioned advice of not editing it, but for the record if you go to your game mode, it will show the default playercontroller as it’s player controller. Next to it is a magnifying glass that will take you to it’s location, which turns out to be in the EngineC++ directory.”

Does this not work anymore? I was following a video and they were able to do as you said here but for me it does not open.

Well technically you should not edit the default PlayerController, as it is within the C++ directory, so if you can’t open it, that’s probably for the best. It’s better to go to project settings>maps and modes, then click ‘add new’ next to playercontroller. Make a new playercontroller and set that as your controller within project settings>maps and modes, then just open and edit that as needed.

1 Like