How do I open an Autosave file?

I have lost my game. I was working on it for atleast two months and I tried opening it one day and something did not work and I was confused so I decided to save:( Now, I can’t get it back. How do I access a previous UASSET file or a UMAP file?

Hey NLEGITN,

What you’ll need to do is drag those files into your Content folder inside of your project folder. This will allow them to show up in your Content Browser when you start the project.

Have a great day

It should be noted that this technique requires additional steps: Rename the autosave file to remove the suffix “_auto#.” Try using “_test.” Go to the map folder location in your project, from within Unreal>right-click any file in there. It may give an error “failed to load assets” Now try going to file>open and the autosave file is discoverable in the list of available maps in the content folder.

251393-unreal-autosave-01.jpg

1 Like

You all are rockstars!

Just saved me from having to restart a weeks worth of work!
Dragging over .asset and .umap files into “…content/VRTemplate/maps” and replacing other .uasset & .umap absolutely works.
(…content/VRTemplate/maps was the path where I found my files)

A note on what crashed my file on startup with “fatal error” I enabled strata substrate materials, required a restart and that broke my file. DO NOT enable strata substrate…unless you want to start over from scratch.

Thank you UE5 forum rock stars!!