How do I open a Uproject?

Unreal Engine 4.14.3, my file saved as a “Uproject” instead of the standard UE4 blue icon button.

How do I open this file?

uproject is the correct mimetype for unreal projects. it should open in the editor, however, for some reason this mimetype has not been registered on your computer. have you tried to select open with in the right-click context menu and then manually selecting the editor binary file?

132512-warning+ue4.png

I tried the right click and open with yet I only see the visual studios , adobe audtion cc 2017 , and search for store, and the choose more- yet when I clicked on choice more, the apps listed did not seem like the right ones.

yet when I went to try again to open I see this warning message come up. but im not sure how to step by step do what it is asking me?

1 Like

From unreal engine if you select Open project and then browse that project,its not opening?
In my computer the project its saving like this,try to rename it with .uproject extension.
Or right click on it and select properties and then on Opens with click on change and select unreal engine.
Or go to control panel,search for default programs and set associations,search for .uproject and change program to your unreal engine exe,search where you instaled it.

132499-untitled.jpg

Hey thanks Tzaks that actually worked as for opening the project. yet one last thing , how do I save it to unreal engine if the properties > opens with if it does not have an option to change to unreal engine.

Step 1 open the epic games launcher
Step 2 launch 4.14.3
Step 3 browse for your project
Step 4 open and as long as the default has no saved maps the project opens

is there a plugin that I can download from epic games/ ue4 or do I have to only open a new project each time to then browse and open my current project (uprojects)

1. If .uprojects are not already associated with a program, double click the .uproject file. If they are, right click and click “Open with…”.
  2. In the “How do you want to open this file?” dialog, make sure “Always use this app to open .uproject files” is ticked.
  3. Click “More apps”.
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the list and click “Look for another app on this PC”.
  5. Browse to your Unreal Engine installation and locate “\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe”.
  6. Select UE4Editor.exe and click “Open”.
  7. The editor will now open the project, and any .uproject you open in the future.
4 Likes